Special Education-Student Services
The Department of Special Education and Student Services supports its mission by:
- complying with the provisions of IDEA of 1997(Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 1997) and the IDEIA of 2004 (Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Act of 2004)
- appropriately identifying students with disabilities based on federal and state criteria
- providing high quality, specialized instructional programs utilizing supplemental materials and research-based strategies
- facilitating a collaborative team among parents, staff, and students to build a positive learning environment
- promoting a strengths-based approach to build on
- supporting the development of knowledge and skills to prepare students to be college bound and/or career ready in the following areas: academics; social/emotional; behavioral; communication; fine and gross motor; organization; transition goals; and functional life skills.
Survey for Parents of Students Who Receive Special Education Services
Every school year, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is required to report to the U.S. Department of Education the “Percent of parents with a child receiving special education services who report that schools facilitated parent involvement as a means of improving services and results for children with disabilities.” There are two ways for parents to participate.
- A printed survey is being mailed to the home address on file for the parents/guardians of every student who has an IEP enrolled in Falls Church City Public Schools. You will receive a copy of the survey for each student who has an IEP in your family with the next week. The surveys are available in English and Spanish.
- An online survey option is available as well. The online survey is available in English and Spanish. Please click on one of the links below to complete the survey. You should complete a survey for each student in your family who has an IEP.
- English Version ----- English Version of 2018-2019 Indicator 8 Parent Survey
- Spanish Version ----- Spanish Version of 2018-2019 Indicator 8 Parent Survey
This is a voluntary process and we hope you will participate. Your feedback is so very important to us. Please remember to complete a survey for each student who has an IEP in your family. If you have questions or need assistance concerning the survey process, please contact the Special Education and Student Services Team at (703) 248-5630.