Mary Ellen Henderson Attendance Policy
If your student will be ABSENT or TARDY, please contact the MEHMS Attendance Office by phone or email.
Absence and tardy for the following reasons will be excused:
- Illness verified by parent/guardian or doctor. If the absence is longer than three days a doctor's note is required to be turned in to the attendance office.
- Pre-arranged absences consistent with the regulation issued by Superintendent
- Death in the family
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Doctor or dental appointment
- Extreme family emergency
Absence and tardy for the following reasons will be unexcused:
- Missing the bus
- Transportation problems
- Absence with parent/guardian permission but for reasons not on the excused list
- Non-school related activities
- Unapproved trips
- Child care situations
How to Pre-Arrange an Absences
Pre-arranged absences are consistent with the regulation issued by the Superintendent.
- Absences of ONE or TWO consecutive days require at least 2 days advance notice to the attendance office. The note must state the reason(s) for absence.
- Absences of THREE consecutive days or more requires administrative approval. A parent/guardian needs to submit a pre-arranged absence form to the attendance office as far in advance as possible, but NO LESS THAN THREE DAYS PRIOR TO THE ABSENCES.
Make-up work cannot substitute for missed classroom experience.
- If a student is absent for one day, he/she should get their assignments from their teachers
- If a student is absent for three or more days, assignments can be requested through the attendance office
- If a student has been approved for a pre-arranged absence, the student is responsible to for getting his/her assignments from their teachers beforehand
For early pick-up, an adult must come to the front office to sign out the student. If the adult is not a parent, guardian, or emergency contact, prior notification to the front office is required. The adult will also need to provide picture identification to the front office staff.