George Mason High School musicians performed extraordinarily well at the "Fiesta Val Music Competition" held at Myrtle Beach High School in South Carolina this past weekend.
The GMHS groups competed against schools from VA, FL, SC, AL and were adjudicated by the difficulty of the music and not school size. The grade level of the music is rated from Grade 1 (beginning band) to Grade 6 (university level.) The GMHS groups competed against some very large schools and did the best we have ever done!
- GMHS Chorus Grade III: 1st place - Superior Rating
- GMHS Jazz Ensemble Grade V: 1st place - Superior Rating
- GMHS Symphonic Band Grade VI: 1st place - Superior Rating
- GMHS Concert Band Grade III: 2nd place - Excellent Rating
(The 8th grade band was judged as a high school group.)
- GMHS Symphony: Concert Band/Wind Ensemble Champion Award (1st ever)
- GMHS Jazz Ensemble: Jazz Ensemble Champion Award (2nd time)
- Outstanding Jazz Soloist - Matt Baker, trombone
- Outstanding Concert Band Soloist - Lia Cattaneo
- Outstanding Jazz Rhythm Section - Tyler Water, drumset Matt Abel and Nate Cooper, Bass Virginia Rice and Carrie Gudenkauf, piano
- Outstanding Jazz Woodwind Section - Annie Geren, Matt Gemond, Alicia Devereaux, Devin Divecha, Soravit Sophastienphong, Katherine Wakely, Matt Earmn
- Outstanding Jazz Brass Section - Jay Rodock, Matt Baker, Sarah Devlin, Jakob Hand, Sam Cashin; trombone Dane Warner, Jack Ulyses, Rachel Croxton, Austin Gogal, Preston Custer, Alex Cartwright
|< Prev||Next >|