There are no announcements at this time.
Inclement Weather/Emergency Notification Methods:
On days of inclement weather, or during other emergencies, FCCPS school operations and closing information is available on this website and ALL of the following:
- WTOP - Washington, DC - FM 103.5 & Frederick, MD - FM 103.9
- WPGC - Washington, DC - FM 95.5
- WAVA - Washington, DC - FM 105.1
- WBQB - Fredericksburg, VA - FM 101.5
- WMAL - Washington, DC - AM 630
- WWRC - Washington, DC - AM 980
- WDCT - Washington, DC - AM 1310
- WMDO - Washington, DC - AM 1540 (Spanish)
- WFVA - Fredericksburg, VA - AM 1230
- FCC-TV - (Cox - Ch. 11, RCN - Ch. 2, Verizon Ch. 35)
- NBC 4 - Channel 4 (WRC - Washington, DC)
- FOX 5 - Channel 5 (WTTG - Washington, DC)
- ABC 7 - Channel 7 (WJLA - Washington, DC)
- Newschannel 8 - Channel 8 (WJLA - Washington, DC)
- 9 News - Channel 9 (WUSA - Washington, DC)
How We "Make The Call"
A great deal of consideration goes into deciding whether students can safely be transported to school on a snowy morning.
City and school employees physically inspect the roads and sidewalks across the city and later discuss their findings. The team also consults with meteorologists, city streets and roads officials and law enforcement authorities for additional information including road conditions, outdoor temperature and the weather forecast for the day.
By 5:00 a.m., the team reports the information to the superintendent, who makes a determination about whether to cancel classes for the day. If schools are closed, the information is made public by 5:30 a.m. via the above-listed ways.
If snow falls during the school day, a decision on whether to close early is made with much the same consideration, and the information is made public by 11:30 a.m.
Because our community is small and has its own snow removal resources, the city is often able to clear snow from streets very quickly. As a result, our schools are often able to remain open when school systems in surrounding areas have to close.